Dogs killed by electrocution walking on sidewalk

This is crazy!!! If this happened to me, god forbid, I would sue the city and the transit system. Dangerous place to walk your dogs, or just dangerous to walk period.


Taryn Grieder was out for an afternoon run with her chocolate Lab when the dog suddenly collapsed, writhing and yelping on the sidewalk.

“It was screaming like I’ve never heard,” she said of the sounds coming from 7-year-old Bender. “I thought he was going to die right in front of me and I was helpless.”

It went on for a terrifying 40 seconds. Then, the usually energetic and happy dog found his footing, only to fall down again, squirming for another half minute.

Bender was one of the lucky ones.

It all began just after 2:30 p.m. Friday, at the corner of Queen St. E. and Parliament St. By dusk, a dog was electrocuted.

A police officer was also taken to hospital with arm pain after being shocked when she touched the metal collar of an injured dog.

TTC spokesman Brad Ross said an insulating cap failed on a streetcar span wire, which supports the overhead power lines. The span wire was inadvertently touching a newly installed metal pole, likely a future traffic signal, which became energized, he said.

The sidewalk around the pole was also energized because the rain acted as an electrical conductor.

The span wire has been fixed but the TTC was to be there all night as some of the other span wires were still energized, Ross said.

After the intersection was cordoned off with yellow police tape, a team from Toronto Hydro began to investigate.

After Bender received the shock, Grieder immediately brought him to a veterinary clinic across the street. The Labrador was confused and shaking, with his tail between his legs, but perked up after a few minutes and ate a treat.

The pair left but were called back to the vet 20 minutes later after another incident.

A 10-year-old golden retriever had been brought in with bleeding paws.

Veterinary technician Roselle Batalla said she called Animal Services immediately when bystanders came in asking for help.

The clinic isn’t allowed to administer any medicine in the street. When taken to the clinic, the dog could not be revived.

The retriever’s owner was hysterical, Batalla said. The dog was well-known in the east-end neighbourhood, friendly and well-behaved.

Grieder said a police officer told her that another dog received a shock.

This isn’t the first time dogs have been seriously shocked while out for walks in Toronto. In January of last year, Schroeder, a 5-year-old Chesapeake Bay retriever, was zapped by contact with an old street light wire buried under the asphalt.

In 2009, a German shepherd named Pierre was electrocuted near a light pole and a Labradoodle named Mrak died after stepping on a live metal plate in the sidewalk.

It pains Grieder to think of what might have been had Bender not pulled through.

“I would have been losing my best friend,” she said. “I’ve had him for seven years; he’s the one solid thing in my life.”

Grieder thinks they were lucky because the pair were running, so they passed through quickly.

Later in the evening, she tried to take Bender back to the intersection, but he wo

“He stopped dead,” said Grieder, adding she’s worried the Lab won’t want to run with her again.